Sunday, September 21, 2008

I Did It!

So we have also started Alden in soccer this fall.  Any of you who have seen three-year olds play soccer know that it is more like a rugby scrum than anything--mashed bodies, pushing, shoving, and the ball eventually squirts out somewhere.  Good coaching consists of just getting  your players to remember which way they are supposed to kick the ball (don't laugh, it is not as easy as it sounds!).  Some teams only show up with two or three players (and one of those will wander off the field for "a little break" right in the middle of the play).
 
But this chaos of premature competition was a real joy for me this weekend. 


Let me put it in context.  The first week Alden had a game, he didn't want to play.  I told him he had to.  He sat on the field and cried.  No running, no kicking; just tears, pouting and sitting. I never lost my temper, but I told him if he didn't play, I would not let him watch TV for the rest of the weekend.  That at least got him to stay out on the field.  After that we went home, and I found he had a temperature of 102.9 -- BAD DAD! REALLY BAD DAD! I felt like a one of those psycho sports parents -- and that is a very dark feeling! 

Anyway, the next week, no one was sick, and I promised a trip to Blockbuster and the donut store if he tried really hard to kick the ball.  And whaddya know, he had a great time. Ran all over, smiled, laughed, kicked, and mixed it up with the best of them.  

That brings us to yesterday.  He did great again. Yes, the other team was undermanned. And yes, if anyone was counting, the other team actually won.  But Alden actually scored a goal!  

(Moments before the fateful strike!)

He ran off the field and shouting, "I did it!" "I really did it!"  He was at once surprised and pleased and feeling like he had achieved something he didn't think he knew how do do.  And I haven't had that much fun in quite a long time.  Great going, little buddy!

2 comments:

Annie said...

Oh Aldie! He is so cute and I can see he is developing so quickly. Soccer has been a great thing for us too.

Annie said...

Why, oh why! I miss the more regular updates from the Flying Baileys. Please, must...have...new...post!