Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Boys


Well,  we were supposed to visit the Jagers this weekend for a trip to Disneyland and So Cal beaches, but I had to cancel because of work. Then at the last minute work decided I didn't need to be there, but it was too late to change cancelled plans. Bummer.  But I didn't mind, actually. I have been too exhausted -- emotionally, physically and mentally -- by work to go through an energetic Disneyland vacation right now.  Bankruptcy, even when it is just the company you work for and not  you personally, feels like hand to hand combat -- it seems that someone is trying to kill you every second, and the stress level gets pretty high.  

So we just stayed home, and didn't do anything really, for the first time in what seems like a long time. No cleaning. No Honey dos. No home improvement.  On Friday afternoon I went to the chiropractor. On Saturday I got a massage (Brooke in the spa at Colonial Square is really very good -- well worth the time and money).  And the rest of the weekend I spent a lot of time just goofing with the family.  Of course, that meant mean lightsaber duels with my little Jedi.


And much chasing of Keegan each time he did something wrong and knew it.  (Now you see why I need a chiropractor and a masseuse.)


But it was fun to spend time with my guys, and it did yield two brief stories I should relate here.  The first actually happened on Thursday, and involved Keegan as he swam at the community pool with his mom.  A little girl about his age came into the pool near them.  Keegan promptly went over and approached very close, causing his mother to cringe as she expected the worst.  Instead, he stopped short, and just stared into her eyes. She stared back.  They drew closer and closer.  At the last moment before contact, he turned away, ran back to his mom and exclaimed "Mom, she's so cute!"   Yes, he is just two.  And yes, I am in deep, deep trouble. 

The next involved Alden, who has been so anxious to say prayers lately that none of the rest of the family ever gets a turn, it seems.  He doesn't lead them yet, so you have to coach him through it, but he will dutifully and enthusiastically repeat every word you whisper for him to say.  Well, we were saying prayers last night, at the end of a long day when we were all very tired.  I whispered to Alden to ask God to bless us that we would be an eternal family.  He promptly stated, "please bless us to be a nocturnal family."  Given all the trouble we have getting him to bed in the first place, my mind started flashing "WRONG PRAYER!  WRONG PRAYER!" like a big neon sign, and I couldn't stop laughing after that. We went to bed giggling even a half hour later. 

In all, it may not sound like much, but I am feeling a little more recharged for the week to come than I would have been had we travelled.  Now I better hit the hay, because the stress will start all over again at 8:00 a.m. sharp.


5 comments:

Natalie N said...

Ha ha! Great stories! How nice for you to have a "do nothing" weekend. I bet your kids just loved having you around for play time.

The pictures (as always) are wonderful! I cannot believe how grown up little Keegan is!

Shanana said...

Sometimes the do nothing weekends are the best of all! Sorry you didn't get to partake in our sunny Southern California weather, though. It was 85 last weekend.

hannie bailey said...

So funny. So cute. Just want to eat them up.

mb said...

kathleen, i love the colors on the wall & the couches! your home is always so beautifully decorated!

Bethany said...

I was going to say the same thing Malinda said about your decor. That is quite the light saber collection Alden. Those blonde haired boys are irresistible. Glad you got take a minute and catch your breath. I bet the boys had just as much fun there than had you made the trek to Disneyland. Hope things slow down a bit.