Friday, October 23, 2009

"Holbrook" Canyon

Sunday I drove home from checking on my folks' house, in nothing more than sandals, shorts and a T-shirt, and passed by Holbrook Canyon (above), home of Barton Creek, looking fall-worthy as a place could be. Of course, anyone who knows anything understands that it is really Bailey canyon and Brett's creek. I literally grew up here. We lived in a small house that my parents rented for $75 a month. It was the highest house on the hill near this canyon, and you could only access the house via a dirt road and an old stone bridge that crossed this creek. There were no neighbors, just my brothers and me. Mom was courageous enough to let us roam absolutely free, so from the time I was 4 until junior high, almost every waking day found me in this canyon, building dams or forts, throwing rocks, hiking, chasing lizards, fishing, dodging rattle snakes (we never told mom) -- you name it.

Given all that, I couldn't resist an impromptu late-afternoon hike, lack of shoes notwithstanding. Within minutes, magical colors surrounded me and drew me on. I ended up hiking for several hours, higher in the canyon than I had ever been.


The photo above is the spot where I camped the very first time I backpacked -- with my best friend Doug Folsom, at age 12, with nary an adult in sight. I don't know if times were different then or if we are just more paranoid now (thank you, TV news), but between fear of child abductions or the risk of them starting the next great conflagration, it would be hard for me to let a 12 year old son out like that. Which is a shame, because those were very formative experiences and are some of the best memories I carry. We used this same fire-ring to cook tinfoil dinners our mothers had prepared. Amazing it is still there, 35 years later.

The second time we went camping alone (probably the next year) we stayed here. It is a perfect camp spot, with overhanging, protective trees and a soft grass bed. (That fire ring also has at least 35 years of use.)




The technicolor trails were everything you could ask for: quiet but for the sound of the babbling creek; cool, crisp air flowing down the canyon; and a damp earthy smell that I swear exists nowhere else. I smiled ear-to-ear the whole time I was there, and walked with a bounce and exuberance not altogether familiar to these aging legs. As I snapped away, I realized that more than any other place in the world, this was home for me. I was finally home, after a long time away. That is a really good feeling.




I was footsore and blistered by the time I wandered out at dusk, but ever-grateful to have broken routine and explored what was, and still is, my back yard. It rained and blew hard the next day, and I have no doubt many of these leaves did not survive it. Change is omnipresent and merciless. But every so often, for a moment, it can be cheated, with past and present colliding in a happy confluence of memory and beauty that recharges the soul. Those are rare and great days indeed.

6 comments:

Julie said...

Incredibly stunning. I'd like to hike higher in the canyon. I've done a couple of miles up, but would love to explore more. You certainly have a way of capturing beauty in photos and words.

Author said...

simply beautiful. I always thought the East Coast was the only place to have your breath truly taken away by the fall foliage. Since having experienced Utah's fall this year, I think Ive changed my mind. Its so beautiful here.

Natalie N said...

Excellent pictures, as always. And great stories to go along with them. How cool that you used to go camping at 12 years old without any adults?! You captured the canyon fall colors beautifully!

kristine said...

Amazing memories! I have some so similar that I have cherished mine through your Sunday stroll. What an awesome reflection time.. and I agree.. we have all been frightened to do those things that we cherish the most.. roam. Thanks some much for sharing!!

Katie said...

Beautiful photos. Makes me depressed we now live in a desert with none of those gorgeous trees. Your kids are sure growing up fast; I can't believe the changes from the last time I checked your blog! Time sure does fly.

Claudine Cable said...

Brett, I found your blog through Julie's. I am in awe at your ability to evoke feelings surrounding situations and places. I love the beauty of our canyons and as I sit here in Wales you brought "home" to me. What a choice blessing we have been given in the beauties of nature. You enrich my life with your photos and especially with your narratives. Thanks.