Saturday, June 2, 2007

Consumer Excess or Happy Refuge?

Though it may reflect consumer excess of the most excessive kind, at least for a 7-year old, this picture may soon remind me of simpler times.

Two Saturdays ago Kate and I went to Safeway for some groceries. There was music on the radio as we began the drive. From the back, I heard Kate say, "Dad, could you turn off the radio so we can talk?" I had to clear my ears. Usually, meaning every time until now, this request goes the other way. ('Dad, can you turn on some music?' 'What about just talking?' 'Oh, no thanks.')

We engaged in a truly delightful conversation, the kind I always envisioned having with my children, about friends, school, what they thought on certain issues, etc. This continued during our grocery shopping, and I began to be a little excited and quite happy. It seemed this was not just a one-time event, but that things really had changed somehow. In the midst of this ongoing discussion, we arrived at the checkout line which, as is usual on a Saturday, was packed with people. Every checking isle had 3 or 4 carts in it, and they all curved to the right, in order to make room for carts passing along the central walkway. This meant we were closely surrounded, on all sides, by people standing with their grocery carts.

Then it happened.

In a strange, vortex-like event, everything became inexplicably quiet just as Kate asked, out of the blue and in a loud, high voice: "Dad, do boys have uteruses?"

Not wanting her to think this was a bad or silly thing to ask, I determined that a non-chalant, "no dear," in my regular, conversational voice, was the proper response.

"Well, what do they have?"

Heads turned. On the back of my neck I could feel the grins growing behind me. Abandoning any hope of being a confident, in-control parent, I answered, VERY sotto voce, with the correct anatomical terminology. To which Kate responded (without any change in volume or tone):

"Oh, well, whatever it is, could you and mom hurry and snuggle together in that special way again? I really want a sister."

A quick, hushed promise to talk to mom about it managed to extract me from further attention by our quietly chuckling neighbors. Suddenly, I was the one wanting car music, and found myself missing the days when all that mattered was Barbie's hair.

10 comments:

MommaG said...

I'm pleased that the last two pictures you've posted of Kate have been ones I delighted in snapping as I've visited this special Kate--there's no other like her. This IS her 'after school refuge' as she enjoys pretending more than any child I've seen. We miss being there with those three, and loved our week with you. Love Momma G

Hillary said...

Oh wow. Only you Bishop, could have handled that conversation in such a nonchalant way. Sweet little Kate sure is a curious one, and I think that her questions and yours and Kathleen's answers are what makes her so smart.

Cyrus and Annie said...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!! That is hilarious! Ha ha!! I'll be laughing until tomorrow!

--Cyrus

Cyrus and Annie said...

Snuggle in that special way...ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! Pure genuis. I'm still laughing.

Brett Bailey said...

Cyrus, I will just note that you are the father of not one but three girls, and your time will come, believe me.

Cyrus and Annie said...

It has already. That is why he laughed so hard. You would not believe the conversations we have endured. TURN UP THE MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!! Annie

Annie said...

Well looks like you and Kathleen need more alone time to make that request possible! :)
When I was about 7 I remember asking my dad one Saturday to give me the birds and bees talk. He was completely taken off guard and in my opinion his response was quite cowardly, "I'll tell you on Monday dear." That "Monday" he spoke of never came (it's a good thing there are other resource on the subject). Now as I'm an adult I can imagine how embarrassed he must have felt by me, his very young daughter, asking him such a question. Kudos to you for your bravery!

The Molen's said...

I knew the day would come that sweet revenge would be mine.......only my brilliant niece Kate pulled through for me!!! Ha ha ha ha ha!! Hilarious!!

Lainie said...

I laughed outloud!! That is so stinkin' funny, bishop. Alyse is only 3 and she very quickly noticed the difference between her privates and the boys'. What's really embarassing is when she says in her loud, Lysee voice, "I just love the boy's penises!"

Chelsea Bevans said...

Bishop, that is so hilarious. i look forward every week in Primary to see what Kate will come up with. She is definitely to smart for own good!