Sunday, November 20, 2011

Tough Girl


Kate has been taking Tae Kwon Do for some time now.  Yesterday was a big test, to see if she could become a "black belt deputy 2."  The tests involve sparring with others, and of course, breaking perfectly good boards in half with a bare hand or foot (or in this case, two boards, one with each).  A student has to show in practice that they can do all that is required, including breaking boards, before they can undertake the actual test, performed in front of the parents of everyone in her academy class and others.

The day before the test, Kate worked so hard, and hit a board so many times, that she got the cut and bruise you can see on her middle finger knuckle above.  Yet the very next day, she came for testing, and blew through the board with that same bare, un-bandaged knuckle, bruising her forefinger knuckle in the process. She passed with flying colors.  While I have no idea what a "black belt deputy 2" is, it must mean in part "ONE TOUGH GIRL."   One thing I do know, however, is that Kate totally rocks.    I am also starting to realize that since many of my bones are thinner than the board she broke, I may need to tread more lightly in the "parental suggestions for improvement" category.

Like I needed that--parenting is hard enough as it is. Luckily for me, she is just a great girl, so I remain naively hopeful we can get through her impending teenage years with my bones intact. Wish me luck!


2 comments:

Missy said...

that is AWESOME!

Annie said...

Kate will never break your bones. She loves you too much. She IS one tough girl though. Glad you has those skills to intimidate future suitors. :)