Sunday, July 8, 2007

A Sunset in Our Life



I was released as Bishop of our Ward today, and a foggy sunset over Mount Tam from our bike trail seemed like an appropriate picture.

It was both a wonderful and a wistful day. Being Bishop was, without exception, the sweetest, most profound spiritual experience of my life, and so a very hard thing to leave behind. It was also 4 years of very hard work, that required so much sacrifice from my family, and particularly from my sweetheart. How I love her for letting me have that experience. I can never repay her or the Lord for that opportunity. I have come away with such a deep and abiding testimony that there is more than just this life, that there is a God, that he lives, and cares for us in His way. Sometimes it is hard to explain how it all works or why things happen the way they do, particularly through the tragedies that impact so many truly good people. But I know that there is a light shining through the darkness, if we just look for it and are humble enough to accept God's will in all things.

Our thoughts and prayers will always be with the special people from our Ward. We love you all. Thank you for all you do and have done to support us and serve the Lord. We are also excited for Bishop Johnson, and the new experience that comes his way. We love him dearly, and pray for him in his new responsibility. God Bless.

5 comments:

Author said...

We'll miss having you guys around. You are such a great family, and you did a great job as bishop. We are sad to see you leave.

Jenn said...

I bet that is such a strange and empty feeling, yet probably relieving in some ways! You were a great bishop!

Cyrus and Annie said...

I remember sitting in the Welfare meeting when I was in charge of activities and thinking--this is way too much. Now, again, every time Harriet comes and tells us what we need to do, and I realize that this and so much more is on the shoulders of the Bishop, I think it is impossible, and yet, you did the impossible. You were an incredible leader of our ward. Thank you Bishop Bailey. And of course, thank you Kathleen...you are both such lovely people!!! Wish I had longer to get to know you.

Candice said...

As we were preparing to attend our first Sunday in our new ward, Chris approached me and said rather solemnly, "Candice, we just need to prepare ourselves for this new ward... and also a new Bishop. We have to realize that we are not going to have another Bishop Bailey." There is only one. Thank you for serving us so selflessly and leading us in love. We learned much from your service. We love the Baileys dearly.

Lainie said...

Annie and I were just talking today about how the 2 hardest jobs in the church (ok besides prophet...) have to be Bishop and R.S. Pres. Neither one of us wishes it upon our own families or anyone else for that matter!!! My brother is a bishop and going to school full time right now. I don't know how he does it. Fortunately for him he does have a VERY supportive wife!!! You and Kathleen have made a lasting impression on this ward and SR!! We are excited for your new found freedom!!!!!