Sunday, May 20, 2007

President Kate


Today my parents arrived from Salt Lake City. Kate was so excited when she found out they were coming that she squealed as only a seven year old girl can.

While we were waiting for the flight to land, we had our first discussion about politics. It began when I picked up a book about the actions of a certain president whose name shall not be spoken. Kate asked me what it was about, and when I told her, she initiated a 20 minute conversation about what makes a good president versus a truly atrocious one. Arrogance, hubris, hypocrisy, lack of respect for the law and constitutional rights, lying, and a complete unwillingness to study, consult experts and consider different opinions before taking precipitous action, all figured prominently in the discussion.

Grandma, who has been a straight-ticket Republican since Eisenhower, found out about our little discussion as soon as she entered the car. Kate recited the whole thing at rapid-fire speeds which brooked no interruption. When an exasperated Grandma was finally able to get a word in edgewise, she asked Kate "Don't you think it would be hard to think about and do all the things that the President has to do? Do you think you could do it any better?"

Kate didn't miss a beat: "ABSOLUTELY! I know I could!"

That's my girl. I know she could too.



2 comments:

Hillary said...

Kate never ceases to amaze me! She is so intelligent and such a happy little girl! You never get bored with a child like her around!

Brett Bailey said...

Thanks Hillary!