Sunday, May 20, 2007

Singing to the Dawn



There is nothing quite like being the dad of Kate. It is the best thing in the world to be. Case in point: a few nights ago, Kate decided to sleep on the couch. The next morning, at about 6:30 a.m., Kathleen nudged me awake, and said “can you go check on the kids, I think I heard something.” I went out to the living room, but there was no sign of Kate, though I could hear her voice, muffled, somewhere. Eventually, I looked out our front door onto the porch. Sure enough, there she was, facing east, singing away in full voice. It was a beautiful morning, with the dawn lighting up a storm mounting over the Marin headlands to the west. I asked Kate what she was doing. “Oh, it is such a beautiful sunrise, and I heard the birds singing, and I wanted to join them. So I am just singing to the dawn.”

1 comment:

Candice said...

This is my new #1 favorite Kate story. I laughed out loud imagining it! What an outstanding and funny and wonderful girl.