Friday, January 11, 2008

A Few Thoughts

Two weeks ago I found myself stuck in the Oakland Airport, waiting on a plane for the interminable hours that always accompany winter storms in the Bay Area. I was drawn to a magazine, which was advertising its 10th annual "What I've learned" series, in which they interview many stars and famous people and ask them that question. So here are a few that struck me:

"Nowadays they say you need to get a special chip to put in the TV so the kids can't watch this and that. In my day, we didn't need that. My mom was the chip. End of story." Ray Charles, Musician

"I've never had a dream in which I am disabled." Christopher Reeve, Actor

"There's too much to remember. Sometimes, you gotta forget about the past." Antonio Pierro, 110 year old World War I veteran.

"If a guy hasn't got any gamble in him, he isn't worth a [darn]. You can fall many times in life, but you're never a failure, as long as you try to get up." Evel Knievel, Daredevil

"Changing your nature is the hardest thing to do. But I discovered that you can be who you choose to be." George Foreman, Boxer

"My definition of freedom is simplicity, really." Johnny Depp, Actor

"Tell the Truth. Sing with passion. Work with laughter. Love with heart. That's all that matters in the end." Kris Kristoferson, Actor, Musician

"Resentment is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die." Carrie Fisher, Actor

"The only normal people are the ones you don't know too well." Rodney Dangerfield, Comedian

"You can argue with somebody who says 'I know this and I know that. But you can't argue with passion. . . . I sometimes meet people who say, I'm going to be this and I'm going to be that. I feel kind of bad for them because they're limiting themselves. It's different from having an enthusiasm for something and seeing where life takes you." Tim Burton, Director

"When someone is successful, there's always a feeling that they were lucky. Luck plays a part, sure, but to be successful, you must have iron discipline. You must have energy and hunger and desire and honesty." Faye Dunaway, Actor

"People were excited when we landed on the moon. You go to the moon a couple of more times and they aren't so excited." Buzz Aldrin, Astronaut

"Enjoy your children, even when they don't act the way you want them to." Muhammad Ali, Boxer

"You can never give your mother as much as she gave you." Mel Brooks, Producer

"Happiness is not money and it's not fame and it's not power. Happiness is a good wife, a good family, and good health." Bobby Bowden, Florida State Football Coach

"Money doesn't make people happy. People make people happy." Steve Wynn, Las Vegas Hotelier

"If I had to list the most prominent highlights in my life over the last decade or more, the things I'd write would pretty much involve moments with my children." Jack Nicholson, Actor

"Love has more depth as you get older." Kirk Douglas, Actor

"I don't eat between meals. I don't snack. Well, I do eat those little fish crackers. They're fattening, but irresistible." Julia Child, Chef

Any comments? Thoughts and observations? Additions? Would love to hear them.

6 comments:

Brett Bailey said...

From Kate's school bulletin, "Remember, it is our choices that make us who we are." Kathleen

Annie said...

I was actually kind of suprised that some of those celebrities actually came up with such profound and impactful lessons. I guess I should give some of them more credit.
I thought you really pulled some great ones. I always like to hear what kind of wisdom people have found through their life experience.
Thanks for the great quotes.

Annie said...

P.S. I really liked Johnny Depps quote.

Candice said...

My favorite is Julia Child's quote. Classic. Great life lessons from celebs... I say amen!

Natalie N said...

Oooo... this was a great entry. I liked all of those quotes, but Carrie Fisher's on resentment was my favorite. So true!

Patience said...

My mom always had a funny saying that makes me laugh. "Beauty is fleeting and dumb is forever". I think that I have learned that you just can't please everyone and that pleasing everyone will never make you happy. But making sure you are happy and the people you love are happy is what really matters and makes you a better person.