Saturday, March 8, 2008

Making the most of a rainy day

Went to Fresno on business last week, and had to fly in earlyish Sunday, which left me with an afternoon to kill.  Of course I thought "SEQUOIA!"  It is one of my favorite national parks.  I swear those trees have a spirit that is living and could tell us so much if they were just allowed to do so. They all but command reverence when you are around them. But it was raining hard in the valley, and I wasn't sure whether I would make it all the way up in the fine but oh so fair weather PT Cruiser the rental car company saddled me with.
Sure enough, I hit snowfall at 5500 feet, and had to turn around.

But it was worth the trip just for the photo below of a manzanita in snow.  I have always loved the colors of these trees, and it is rare to see them wet, on an overcast day, with snow at their base. Definitely a treat.

I also was able to witness the way water helps form the beautiful granite of the Sierras.  The waterfalls were trickles higher up, but raging torrents as I descended. The sound of the second waterfall was deafening, and yet I am sure that bed is dry almost all the time.  Shows you what even one storm can do.


Back down in the valley, I headed for "the Blossom Trail" which runs through the hundreds of miles of orchards in and around Fresno. I have always wanted to drive this in spring, though this time, it was a little early.  I did manage to see a few peach orchards in bloom, though, which was a nice way to wrap up a rainy day.

1 comment:

Annie said...

What a serene experience. You seem to always make your own peace in nature a priority. Most people would just go to a movie or something like that. Thank you for sharing with the rest of us what gives you peace. I couldn't agree more.