Sunday, June 22, 2008

Moab Part I

We went to Moab with my parents at the end of May, and stayed at Red Cliff Lodge. More on this trip later, but for now, here are a few pics of the highlights.

Kate and I hiked to Delicate Arch for sunset, and for me, it was the highlight of the trip.  She talked all the way there, hardly leaving me time to get a word in edgewise -- this despite a pretty steep up for a good portion of the hike. Finally, as we neared the top, she said "Dad, you know this hiking would go a little easier on me if you would do some of the talking."  I was, of course, speechless at this moment as well.  

On the way back, I was trying to have one of those great Daddy-Daughter talks, and so was telling Kate that she was one of the greatest girls ever, and that she shouldn't ever let anyone tell her otherwise.  Her immediate response: "Dad, who would ever do a thing like that?" Boy do I love this little girl.

Of course, I feel the same about my boys.  We stopped at the Dinosaur park in Price on the way down for a much needed break, and had a great time playing hide and seek. Here is Keegan grinning at being found. 
And here is my handsome little man, who is growing up so fast.  



Moab makes me come alive, I really love this place.  It even made me into enough of a morning person to get these shots of the Moon and sunrise at Dead Horse Point, a nearby state park that my Grandpa Aldin established when he was State Parks Director.



The photo above is in the Colorado River Valley near where we stayed (more on that later). Hopefully, as both that photo and the photo of the Fisher Towers below attest, the place was just ridiculously beautiful.


Above, a sense of scale on the cliffs near Delicate Arch; below, the icon.  This place is so amazing. More photos to follow in a second post, but it is late now, and I will have to do it some time this week.


2 comments:

mb said...

what beautiful, personal photos. I hope you're displaying some of those in your new home. We just hung up some G.G, bridge pictures that Bill took when we lived there. It feels good to have a piece of "home" in view.

Natalie N said...

Bishop, you really have a gift for photography. Tyler & I have a special place in our hearts for Moab. Thanks for sharing these beautiful sights with us.