Saturday, June 7, 2008

Peace and Progress


I had the kids all day on my own today, and what a pleasure it was.  Last week I was gone on business for three days; the week before that two; and the week before that three again.  Monday I leave for another four day business trip.  Needless to say Kath needed the time alone, but I also needed to be with the kids.

We went to historic Wheeler Farm in Salt Lake City, and had a blast.  Pigs, goats, ducks, geese, chickens, sheep, horses, cows and even a finger-hunting turkey all played a part in our fun, though chasing ducks was clearly the favorite pass-time.  The kids played wonderfully together all day, with nary a spat.  



As we returned home, Keegan fell asleep in the car, but woke up when we arrived at home only 25 minutes or so later.   I thought that he would easily fall asleep again, and left him in his crib despite the fact that he cried in alto voce for release for at least 5 minutes.  

At that point, over the baby monitor I heard a door open quietly, and Alden say softly "what's the matter little buddy?  Are you ok?" He followed with, "don't worry, I'll get Dad."  After I let Keegan out they played together unsupervised for about 45 minutes, with Keegan squealing in delight at least half the time.   

Those of you who remember the initial post-birth  interaction between these two will know how far sweet Aldy has come.  He still won't share toys, but has made tremendous progress, and I now have high hopes that they will become fast friends.   

All in all it was just a great day.

4 comments:

hannie bailey said...

I haven't seen the kids in like a month! Where has the time gone? Keegen looks bigger! We are going to have to come by... That sounds awful, we are like two seconds away!!

The Molen's said...

Wheeler farm is a great place to go! Mason has only had one trip there. Hopefully we can everyone soon! The last time we saw Keegan, he was only about a month old. So sad!

Cyrus and Annie said...

How cute could Alden be? I love sibling interaction...the good especially!!

Natalie N said...

Aww, what a fun day for you guys. Congrats to Alden for becoming a super big brother. That is wonderful news!