Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Bee-Loud Glade



I love the phrase that is the title of this post. Wish I could take credit for it, but it belongs to W.B. Yeats, from his poem, The Lake Isle of Innisfree, which I first read in Cambridge, England in 1986. It has stuck with me since, and, as I was in need of my own place of peace on Friday (work has taken a marked turn for the worse), I went to Soapstone Basin in the Uinta Mountains. There, for a time, heavy-heartedness left me, as I surrounded myself with what I feel is miraculous evidence of a loving God. Here are more photos, interspersed with the poem. Hope you enjoy.


The Lake Isle of Innisfree

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made:

Nine bean rows will I have there, a hive for the honey-bee,
and live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
dropping from the veils of the morning to where the cricket sings;

There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
and evening full of linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;


While I stand in the roadway, or on the pavements grey,
I hear it in the deep heart's core.







1 comment:

kara said...

You were in Cambridge in '86? How old are you??? Haaaa...not to take away from the beauty and serenity of your experience, but that's all I got from that posting. Just so you know, I was doing a little Bountiful recruiting for you...telling the Bohan's to move to your street. Mal and fam are in town (so fun to visit with them) and they talk now and then of considering Utah as the next stop in their lives.