Saturday, February 2, 2008

Maybe I'm Just Getting Old . . .

But I really like Birding. I have none other than my good friend Steve Frank to blame for this AARPish behavior. When we first arrived in San Francisco, he immediately hauled us out to Lodi, of all places, in the dead of winter, to see Sandhill Cranes. It was a profound experience. As the sun set, hundreds if not thousands of these giant birds converged on the wetland we were watching. The sound, a din of primordial cackle, will be with me for the rest of my life. I was hooked.

I am not the fanatic that some are or the professional that my friend Steve is (and in fact I shamefully post most of the photos below so he can call and tell me what I saw), but I will now definitely look for opportunities to see birds. As you may have observed from Kate's prior post, Farmington Bay is such an opportunity, and it should not be missed. Here are a few of my photos from that trip.


Ok, so this photo has nothing to do with birds, but is full of nostalgia for me. My grandpa Aldin, after whom our first son is named, had several pieces of property, collectively known as "The Farm" down by Farmington Bay. This is one of them. I helped fill that barn to the top with hay bails for many summers. In fact, I helped dig the post- holes for that fence when I was only a few years older than Kate, and helped string the barbed wire too. (Looks like no one has touched it since). I was only a little older than Alden is now when my Grandpa dug the pond in front of this property. I very clearly remember the back hoe that dug it out, and using the irrigation system to fill it with water. I also remember day after day of tadpole and frog hunting that followed thereafter. It was just a great place to spend summers as a kid. I really miss Grandpa, and think of him a lot, even though he has been gone almost 20 years now. Glad this place was still here to show Kate and Aldy. OK, enough of memory lane, and on to the birds.



Oddly enough, the bald eagles will sit not only in dead trees, but just out on the ice, as in this photo. We live up on the hill directly above the bald eagle on the left.


This open water was very active with birds. If you look at the egret-like wading bird on the right, you will see a fish in its mouth. The wading bird on the left is some type of a Heron, I think (Steve?)



I have no idea what this bird is, but he was beautiful, and on the hunt.



I gained a great appreciation for the art of Bird photography just in this short trip. It is so hard to get these little guys in focus, let alone have them fill the frame. Of course some made it easier than others . . .



I am quite curious about the bird of prey in the bush above. Anyone know what type of bird it is? Also, what kind of duck? Sorry, I know that is lazy, and I should just go look in Sibley's (that was for you, Steve) but it would be so much nicer if someone just told me. . .:-)




If you have never seen a Bald Eagle fly, you are really missing something. The power and speed of it can send chills down your spine. Our founding fathers chose the national symbol very well. What a great day!

2 comments:

Cyrus and Annie said...

I watched a bald eagle fly over some gorgeous canyon in Idaho (whose name I cannot recall since my children have made me AARP eligible way to early) and between the beauty of the canyon and the beauty of the bird, the picture is burned in my memory. I miss the Rockies. Enjoy them.

MommaG said...

Thanks for including the 'farm' photo. Memories of my dad seem to grow greater with each year passing. He taught me to work, but the last two Saturdays while I was at work, I should've been out there with you. Maybe next Saturday? Love, Momma G